MBT Menu Tabs JavaScript

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Nourish Me

It's daddy...


I Heart U
Gosh. Here I am again. I'm a glutton for late-night punishment that's for sure. Last night it was 2am before I could prise my hands from the keyboard. Damn that WiFi. Damn it to hell. (We wants it. The precioussss).

I've been thinking a lot about my 'word' for this year. 2010 was the year of 'Compassion' - for myself mainly as I have been known to be a tad hard on myself. Apparently. I'm not sure if I was more compassionate with myself to be honest. I tried harder though and I guess, in the end, that's what this whole yearly word thing is all about. Trying to find the right way 'in' to oneself in the moment. 

The word that has come to me for this year is 'Nourish'. 


Like compassion (and in some ways directly linked to it), nourishment is something I find hard to both give and experience. I rarely bother to think about self nourishing as my mind, body and days are stretched into the perpetual nourishment of others - particularly small, delectable others whose needs are many and often. I don't even have much nourishment left over to offer to my poor, long-suffering husband, who has been known to return home after a hard day's work, (and a long train journey) to find the stove cold and the table empty. He then has to whip up some dinner us both while I lie there in a stupor of tired bewilderedness. 


Nom Nom Nom
(image courtesy of MyVeganQuest.blogspot.com)


Actually, food is one of the main reasons why this word came up for me this year. I was going to say that I am not much of a cook. But that's actually not true. I'm a pretty good cook most of the time. My problem is that I don't enjoy it. More often than not, I find myself sagging in front of the doors of my pantry/fridge, sighing dramatically and wondering if it is not some form of subtle child abuse to offer ones progeny beans on toast for the second time in a week. Thank goodness the wee man is not yet truly experiencing my half-arsed approach to food. (Isn't 'arse' a good word?). Anyway, I digress. I am feeling the long-standing effects of nutritional laziness in many more kilos than I need, (many more kilos than a few of me needs actually), and a severely depressed immune system. (I know. It's not enough that my head is depressed, now my immune system is jumping on board. Bastard). And so. And so. And so.

I need to take the time this year to find out what truly nourishes me and then find the time to do it. This includes exercise (bleh!), proper cooking - with whole, organic, seasonal produce and such, (argh), for the whole family and, of course, trying, trying, trying to fit in some bloody meditation or yoga or writing. Oh. Sweet. Jesu. Well, what year would be complete without some massive, fear inducing, sweat producing, impossible list of changes? Certainly not mine.

Actually, it's really not quite as overwhelming as it sounds. The food thing - well,yeah. It will be a jump out of my comfort zone to meal plan (and I will have to) and to prepare things in advance because I'm such a 'seat of my pants' girl generally. But the rest of it - well that's just a case of organisation and not punishing myself (compassion) if I don't get it right first time, don't do it every day or don't meet my own (admittedly stupidly high) expectations. Again - this is about finding the things which nourish me, top up my well, feed my spirit, my heart and my mind. It's not about getting it right/perfect/done. The  journey into nourishing myself will hopefully leave me with some kind of road to follow in the future. I am not expecting miracles. I am not expecting it to happen overnight. We are talking about ahumhum years of unhealthy eating, not exercising and not wanting to change. So - I'll take it at a snail's pace and we shall see what the coming year shall bring.

In order to add a visual element to this idea of nourishment, I was going to do a '365 Days of' type thing but I think that's putting the cart before the horse. Too much pressure. SO - I am instead going to do one post a week on the whole subject of nourishment in all it's forms and this will include a photo of something that is nourishing me that week be it by mouth, eyes, heart, hands, body, soul, ears or whatever. I invite you all to join me.

Did you get that?

I INVITE YOU ALL TO JOIN ME!

Starting this week, I will write a weekly post and add a photograph about nourishment. All you have to do is the same and link it back to my post. I am even attempting to create a button you can grab and put on your blog to keep us all connected. Keep an eye out for it. (And an ear out for any sign of a technical breakdown - eyes bleeding, colourful expletives, steam coming out of my ears etc).


Life's a....


I do hope you'll join me - leave a comment and let me know if you do. Share your world. Often things which nourish one person can act as a nudge or inspiration for another. I'd love to read about the things, people, places, acts, which nourish you and who knows what might result from it. 


4 comments:

laura (warmthandlight) said...

ooh, we are so attuned!! again.
'Nourishment' was one of my words for the year.

I'm so on board with this themed weekly posting hooha. Let's treat our precious selves like cherished friends, and gain inspiration from other souls (rather than hide away and find inventive ways to self-berate and numb). It'll be a kind of enticement and encouragement to keep up momentum.

I hear ya with the whole cooking thing, and the sighing in front of the fridge/pantry (lol) I could never understand how some people managed to see filling empty stomachs as a thrilling creative outlet, rather than a chore. Day after day. This year, so far, has been good. I've got a well-organised recipe folder with lots of new yummy recipes, and a weekly menu planner.* I've cooked more new things in the past few weeks than I did in the last 6 months of 2010! Lost some weight and look forward to meal times. Change, huzzah! For me, it's not about deprivation or cutting out 'bad' foods, but reminding myself how good I feel with lots of nutrients and nourishment, and the occasional bit of cake with a herbal cuppa!

Looking forward to making 2011 an even more profoundly nourishing year with your help, comrade. xx

*menu planning is strangely comforting. You know what you're going to cook and eat, so that lifts the exhausting burden of endless possibility. It's not as beige as it sounds(!!), as it frees you up to give energy to other things. It kind of boosts and accelerates as you go along, and the positive impact radiates out into all the other areas of your life.

Antoinette said...

I really like this one! 'Nourish' is such a good one!

I've been wondering about a word for the year, but I just keep coming up with arse-kicking ones, warrior-woman-going-into-battle ones, like 'courage' and 'endure' and 'get-to-it-you-slack-arsed-cow', which I think really defy the whole purpose of the exercise.

This is a really good idea, and considering what I'm doing with my days and where my focus is these days, it's a highly appropriate thing that will make me put my money where my mouth is. So to speak. So yeah, I'm in...
Probably be doing this on both of me blogs...
xx

Stephanie said...

I love the word "Nourish". I'm pretty sure it will be my word, some year soon. :)

Earthenwitch said...

Love this idea. Will do my bestest to join in, dagnammit.